Hawaiian Turkey Burgers
Turkey burgers are a delicious change of pace. Slap these moist patties on the grill for a special treat! This is a simple and delicious recipe. After making them the first time my husband said ‘no more’ to beef burgers. These are good – any cooking method may be used, and they freeze very well.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1/3 cups finely chopped onions
- 1 slice whole wheat bread, chopped into crumbs
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- sliced red bell peppers
- 12 round pineapple sliced
- 3 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 large red onions, sliced
- Iceberg lettuce, rinsed and dried
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- Pickles to serve on side
Grill; sliced red bell peppers, sliced pineapples and sliced red onions set aside to place on the top of the burger with lettuce, tomato and pickle
Prep: 15 m Cook: 25 m
- Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onions and garlic in the hot oil until tender and lightly browned, about 15 minutes; transfer to a large bowl.
- Mix bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard, garlic, poultry seasoning, ground mustard, pepper, and salt with the onion. Break the turkey into small pieces into the bowl; mix with the bread crumb mixture until evenly combined. Shape the turkey mixture into 12 patties; wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- Cook the patties on grill until no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, 4 to 5 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F.
- Remove patty from grill and place buns cut side down into grill to toast for about 1 min. Place turkey burger, veggies and pineapples in layers on toasted buns and serve! Optional: moisten bun with your choice of mayonnaise or other choice of dressings and condiments. Enjoy!!!