I requested this recipe from Juanita because hers is the best meatloaf I’ve ever tasted.
What’s better than a hearty meatloaf when you get home after a long day? It’s a recipe that’s easy and foolproof. No bells and whistles – just beef, egg, oatmeal and a simple tomato-based topping.
- 1-1/2 pounds Ground Beef (93% lean or leaner)
- 3/4 cup instant oatmeal
- 3/4 cup ketchup, divided
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup minced green pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350°F. Combine ground beef, oatmeal, 1/2 cup ketchup, onion, green pepper, egg, Worcestershire, garlic, thyme, pepper and salt in large bowl, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape beef into 8 x 4-inch loaf on rack in aluminum foil-lined broiler pan.
- Place in preheated 350°F oven. Bake 45 to 55 minutes, until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F; brush with remaining 1/4 cup ketchup during last 10 minutes, if desired. Let stand 10 minutes. Cut into slices.